Miscellany on the art and science of information
Holiday parties are all the rage…What will I wear? I’m on the look out for a navy blue, wool, knee length pencil skirt. Please toss me one my way.
Come on down, would love to show off the library we have been working so hard on.
Center for Sex and Culture Library & Archive Holiday Soirée
Sunday, December 9th from 12:00pm to 5:00pm
Center for Sex and Culture: 1349 Mission St., San Francisco
The Center is happy you are here with us this holiday season. We are having a soirée in appreciation of our members, volunteers, and interns and as an open house for our Library & Archives. Enjoy food, mingle, and check out our library! We will also be having a book sale with erotica, vintage porn mags, and more.
About the Center for Sex and Culture Library & Archive:
The Center for Sex & Culture Library and Archive was born from, and is sustained by, donated collections of books, magazines, journals, zines, comics, dissertations, works of art, videos, memorabilia, and the personal papers of key members of the community. It is being cataloged by a team of dedicated volunteers and interns, under the supervision of Anissa Malady, MLIS. To learn more, visit: http://www.sexandculture.org/lbry
- Robo: "Hi, we'd like to have you talk to a real, live agent, Sheila. She's going to talk to you about supplementing your current life insurance policy."
- [Thinking to self]: "I should hang up. But, allow yourself to lie."
- [Live Person comes on the phone]
- Live Person: "(crackle) Hi, is Miss Seymour there?"
- Me: "No, and she won't be for some time. She went away on business. For a whole month---
- ---She's in China."
- Live Person: "Okay, we'll call back then."
- Ein: "Who was that, honey?"
- Me: "Just someone. It was a live person. I was curious to know how alive they were doing a job such as that."
How to do say goodbye to an old friend?
- I'm calling a housecall vet to schedule euthanasia for my dying dog...
- Vet: "This is Dr. Doe"
- Tess: "Hi, I'd like to schedule two appointments."
- Vet: "What seems to be the problem?"
- Tess: "The Grim Reaper keeps following my Georgia around. Can't shake him off."
- Vet: "Oh, I see. So, you'd like to schedule the other appointment for--?"
- Tess: "The first appointment was for you to come look at her and feed into my denial. I was hoping at this appointment you'd say, 'Oh, Georgia's fine, she doesn't need to be put to sleep!' And, the second was to put her down."
- Vet: "I'm terribly sorry to hear this. In the meantime, here's what you can do to keep her pain managed until Friday---"
- And he explained what would happen. Georgia looked at me and rolled her eyes at me.